One of the key areas for minimizing the impact on the environment is to reduce emissions into the atmosphere during the Company's production activities.
The emission of pollutants in TATNEFT Group in 2019 amounted to 103.3 thousand tons, which is 10% higher than in 2018. The reason for the increase in emissions is the expansion of the TATNEFT Group associated with the acquisition of new assets (JSC Tolyattisintez Tolyattikauchuk LLC).
Special attention is paid to reducing emissions of harmful substances into the atmosphere, which is achieved through the implementation of the following measures:
- construction and technical re-equipment of gas collection systems (flare facilities). Re-equipment of Tatneftegazpererabotka flare control system will reduce the company’s annual emissions by 0.94 thousand tonnes.
- introduction of technology of light hydrocarbon vapor recovery (LHVR) allowed reducing carbon emissions by more than 4 times as compared with emissions in 1991. Currently, the facilities of PJSC TATNEFT operate 44 LHVR units. In 2019, the amount of carbon recovered by the LHVR units amounted to 31.1 thousand tonnes.
PJSC Tatneft has started creating a system for automatic monitoring of atmospheric air quality in its area of operation, identifying and eliminating sources of pollution. In 2019, automatic air quality control stations as well as a monitor for displaying information about the state of environment were installed in Almetyevsk.
DYNAMICS OF EMISSIONS OF POLLUTANTS INTO THE ATMOSPHERIC AIR BY THE TATNEFT GROUP FOR THE PERIOD OF 2017-2019, THOUSAND.
The reasons for the growth in of pollutants emission into the air at the Oil and Gas Processing business area of TATNEFT Group are:
• transfer of Tatneftegazpererabotka Division from the Exploration and Production (TATNEFT Upstream) business area to the Oil and Gas Processing Business area;
• joining the business line of JSC Nizhnekamsktekhuglerod.
In 2019, pollutant emissions of JSC TANECO into the air were reduced by 10% compared to the level of 2018 (from 2,604.748 tonnes to 2,348.595 tonnes). The decrease was due to the use of the actual measurements results in the development of standards and a change in the methodology for calculating the pollutants in the atmospheric air.
The growth of the emissions from 0.9 thousand tonnes to 2.7 thousand tonnes in the Energetika (Energetics) business area of the TATNEFT Group is associated with increasing the reserve fuel amount use at OOO Nizhnekamsk CHPP.
The main steps to reduce the negative impact on the atmospheric air include:
• implementation of measures to regulate the air pollutants during unfavorable meteorological condition periods;
• transfer of vehicles to gas fuel;
• reducing the loss of hydrocarbon raw materials, increasing the volume of its processing, increasing the production energy efficiency;
• implementation of measures to reduce hydrocarbon emissions from storage and treatment tanks;
• performance of repair and adjustment works on fuel-burning equipment.
Sanitary protection zones (SPZ) are established around the works and the production facilities of TATNEFT Group to ensure the safety of the population within the areas and in accordance with the federal law No. 52-FZ "On the sanitary and epidemiological well-being of the population" dated March 30, 1999, which are source of adverse impact on the environment and for human health.
The atmospheric air state in settlements located in the TATNEFT Group operations and SPZ boundaries of production facilities is continuously monitored, to ensure the compliance with sanitary norms and rules for the protection of the atmospheric air in populated areas, as well as within the framework of work to justify (establish) the size of sanitary protection zones (SPZ).